Thursday, January 17, 2008

a great family


Photo is of my dearest Alzheimer's patient enjoying a sucker that Aliyah gave her. She will be gone 1 year on Monday. I think of her every day. She has the greatest family. My day hours with my new Alzheimer's client have been very rewarding. His family is wonderful, and is totally dedicated to his care and well being. As many of you know, this disease can be very trying, and our patient "Jack" is struggling with it. His wit and natural intelligence, coupled with his love of friends and family, make him a great character. His confusion and lack of "purpose" as he sees it, make him very despondent. Today he mentioned that I must be his other daughter, because we both have green eyes:) Alzheimer's is such an unfair disease. "Jack" is very bright. He knows the disease will only progress. It is so hard to listen to him talk of his decline. I want to try to be a strength for the family, and feel privileged to be able to add to his quality of life. Let's all pray for "Jack" tonight. Thanks folks.

1 comment:

Creatavita said...

Hi Julie - Dad led me to your blogspot and specifically this posting. What a great set of photos of Mom with a lollipop! Thanks for your kind words about Mom and her family. I hope you know we all think the same of you. Jack's family probably doesn't know how lucky they are to have you in their lives yet. I'll be praying for Jack. Love - Heidi