Thursday, March 17, 2011

Aliyah's new 'do'


Aliyah went off to school today wearing a green wig:) The kids were encouraged to wear green. As I am not a 'smidge' Irish, the day really doesn't have any special meaning, other than the Catholic significance. When we toured Ireland, the locals laughed at how the Americans celebrate this day. They said they usually attend morning mass (I can attest to the fact that the churches and cathedrals were full, even on ordinary weekdays,) and they DONT eat corned beef and cabbage, at least our hosts said they didn't. Most eat a variety of fish, and we enjoyed sea bass, tilapia, grouper, tile and other local favorites. They were served with veggies and every type of boiled, broiled, grilled, au gratin, and mashed potato. We sometimes had 3 potato choices at every meal. While they do enjoy the pubs, the types of beers and whiskeys are locally supplied, and you won't find many drinking already in the morning as you do here. What a shame it has turned out to be a 'drinkfest' in some communities. The bars open at 7 AM with folks waiting down the block. I know of people who take the day off, for no other reason than to party. I wonder how many people even know who St. Patrick was? Oh well, enough of my rant. Today is not quite as nice as yesterday weather wise, so Eva and I are going to the gym this morning, while she is still enjoying time off for spring break. Yesterday we tromped around Rienzi Cemetery until 7 PM before it started to get dark. It was really beautiful with everything melting and the birds all out in full voice:) It was also a very good day for me, in terms of getting a lot done. I had to renew my driver's license, and was pleased with a really nice photo for a change, and still being able to ace the vision screening without glasses. Small little victories. I also shored up my volunteer schedule at a local assisted living, and received information on the palliative care program. I will be attending a brief workshop next week, following a 'get to know you' chili supper, to get started with occasional hours in that program also. I'm looking forward to these new challenges! Most of all, I'm looking forward to a long visit from my lovely little Grandfille soon:) Just in time to celebrate Elise's birthday on the 29th, and mine on the 31st.

No comments: